Everyone loves to save money on their utility bill, but before jumping into money saving projects it is important to know your facts. The typical U.S. family spends $1,300 on it’s energy bill yearly. With older homes totaling 3 times that amount. With heating or cooling your home totaling over 40% of your monthly utility bill. The unfortunate fact is that 30% of the energy used to do this escapes costing you, on average, over $400 a year.
Today, the All Elements team and SELF held a workshop for GOAA employees educating them about common HVAC problems and the importance of energy audits. Employees who attended also received great energy-saving tips and learned how to make their homes more energy efficient through simple do-it-yourself (DIY) projects like caulking and weathering-stripping your windows and doors, or changing your light bulbs to energy efficient LEDs. Unfortunately there are also many non-DIY projects that require experienced energy specialists to perform like duct sealing and adding insulation.
Knowing who to call for what projects can be confusing but you are not alone. Here are some simple tips for what to look for in a licensed contractor.
- Ensure they have experience and provide quality work.
– You want to look for an established company whose record and reputation you can check out.
- They need to be insured.
– Contractors should have personal liability, workers compensation, property damage coverage. Ask for copies of insurance certificates, and make sure they’re current, or you could be held liable for any injuries and damages that occur during the project.
- They existing warrantees are kept intact and they know which permits might be required.
– Most states and localities require permits for building projects, even for simple jobs. A competent contractor will get all the necessary permits before starting work on your project.
You also want to get at least 3 quotes before making a decision.
With these tips you can start your project to become more energy efficient. If you are looking at making some changes and don’t know where to start, give us a call at 1-866-306-0359 and schedule your money saving Energy Assessment today. Our experienced staff show you what you can do, and what you’ll need a professional to do, to start saving energy and money.
All Elements would like to thank everyone who came out, and the GOAA Green team for having us!
29 May, 2015